Priced between Rs 20 lakh and Rs 1 crore each, the machines are being put to use to process wet and horticulture waste. Of the 16 machines, two installed in Sector 34 and 37 are of higher capacity and apart from working on a zero-garbage solution, they can also generate biogas.
Noida Authority oficials said that the two plants can produce renewable energy from food, garden and municipal waste. “The cost of these two plants is much higher and so we have installed them in sectors that produce more waste,” said Avinash Tripathi, officer on special duty. He added that the two plants can each process 2,000-kg of waste daily. “The other 14 sectors have been provided with composting machines or organic waste converters. Their prices range between Rs 20 lakh and Rs 60 lakh depending on the processing capacity. These machines are equipped to deal with food waste and can generate compost within 24 hours to 48 hours,” he said. Some of the key sectors that have been covered include Sector 8, 30, 34, 37, 52, 56 and 71 and in the coming weeks, 25 more locations will be covered.
After inviting entries from RWAs and apartment complexes, the Noida Authority will soon start surveys to find out the waste generation scenario at various colonies. Around 130 RWAs are registered with the authority, which also holds rankings as per waste management and cleanliness.
Yogendra Sharma, president of federation of RWAs in Noida, said, “Installation of composting machines and biogas plants has paved the way for RWAs to better their rankings. The machines are being run and maintained by RWAs and are providing a zero-waste approach.”
Colonel retired Shashi Vaid, chairman of Arun Vihar RWA which has almost 5,000 houses in Sectors 28, 29 and 37, said, “Last year ward 2 in Sector 28 was awarded the best RWA in Noida. This time, we have given an entry for the survey from ward 16 in Sector 37. The presence of a waste processing plant in the immediate neighbourhood will be helpful.”
Almost 90% of funds for the machines have been generated by Noida Authority and by some companies under corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives. The remaining 10% is being pooled in by the residents. The compost generated from the plants is being used to maintain the green belts and parks within the neighbourhood. Electricity charges are being borne by the authority as of now.